Who and Why We Are
The purpose of FreeThought Arizona is to establish, grow, and support a community of freethinkers, skeptics, agnostics, atheists and humanists based on reason, science, and critical thinking. The goals are to maintain separation of church and state, advance education and science, examine and discuss literature, support families, work to eliminate prejudice and discrimination and protect the civil rights of our members and others through meetings, lectures, debates, discussions, protests, letters to the editor, blog, podcasts, broadcast appearances and any other reasonable and civil means available.
FreeThought Arizona grew out of the Southern Arizona branch of the Center for Inquiry, a transnational organization. We are a group of rationalists, skeptics, and humanists in and around Tucson serving all of Arizona.
We have joined together to provide an ethical alternative to religious and paranormal worldviews, protect civil liberties, defend reason, and to work toward increasing scientific literacy in Arizona.
To achieve this goal, FreeThought Arizona sponsors:
- local events,
- lectures and educational programs.
We draw upon volunteers, members and other supporters who are enthusiastic about our agenda and wish to take part in our movement. In addition, FreeThought Arizona sponsors social events for freethinkers as well as intellectual programming, and assists with campus outreach and other community organizations with whom we share similar goals and philosophies.
View our Board of Directors.
September 21, 2014
Ruth “Bunny” Davis, J.D, M.Ed.
Ms. Davis will present The U.S. Project. This presentation aims to begin to connect (or re-connect) Americans of all ages and stages with our founding documents by reading the actual words of selected portions of the documents themselves. Together, participants explore the Declaration of Independence, the Preamble to the Constitution of the United States, and the Constitution itself. We will see what the Founders and Framers themselves chose to say about government in the United States of America, without partisanship or ideology coming between them and us.
Again, this presentation is designed to be an un-partisan examination of the founding documents of our country in their original form. Questions, comments and analysis in a respectful, civil atmosphere will be encouraged.
Bunny Davis lives in Tucson, Arizona. She is a retired attorney, school teacher and counselor, university professor and mental health counselor. THE U.S. PROJECT presentations are tailored to fit the needs of each and every audience and can be delivered in several different forms. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
8-9:15 am —Café FreeThought Get-together for a lively discussion of issues dealing with the intersection of religion, politics and culture. (BYOC) Gil Shapiro, moderator.
Noon —Lunch (available in the UMC Cafeteria: good food at good prices!)
1 pm —To be announced
Duval Auditorium events are FREE to all. Donations welcome. See map
COMING EVENTS at FreeThought Arizona
We have no regular Duval Auditorium meeings in July and August.
October 19, 2014: Lecia Brooks, Outreach Director for Southern Poverty Law Center, will speak about the separation of church and state and other topics.
Use facebook and
join FreeThought Arizona to meet like-minded others.
ANNOUNCEMENTS & REMINDERS TEXT BLOCK
- FreeThought Arizona CALENDAR WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE late Friday afteroon, September 12 !
- How are your Arizona state representatives and
senators representing your secular interests? Support for representatives Mach, Davis, Mendez, Otondo, Quezada, Saldate, Sherwood, and Wheeler translates to support for a secular state government - all representatives with a 100% secular rating. Representatives Meyer, Muñoz, Peshlaki, and Steele have high secular ratings leaving 18 representatives with poor to mediocre secular support.
- Remember to enroll or re-enroll in Fry's Community Reward Program. This brings in money to our non-profit organization with no out-of-pocket expense to you.
- .At our September FreeThought Arizona Duval Auditorium meeting, 9/21/2014, we will have the cards needed to give our non-profit organization credit from Albertson's Foods. Please ask at the reception tables or send request to email@example.com. You may also visit the Community Reward Programs listed in the next block below.
- We have two new links on our Links page:
- Supporting membership sign-up will start in October.
- October 5, Sunday 10 AM The Educational SIG resumes with the presentation of Medical Myths, Lies, and Half Truths. What We Think We know May be Hurting Us. Meet at the office of Southwest Hazard Control, 1953 W Grant Road. Narrated by: Dr. Steven Novella.
- Training to be an Advocate for the Death You Want for Yourself and Others (Surrogate or Health Care Representative). Late October, early November 2014. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or click DETAILS.
- If you are interested in participating in the AIDS Walk Sunday, October 12, starting at 7am at the main library, please contact Lisa.
You have a reminder or temporary announcement that you want posted? Reminders and announcements should be guided by our "Who and Why We Are" statement in the left column. Contact webmaster.